When are employees eligible for EI benefits due to COVID-19
- If an employee is taking care of a family member who has tested positive for COVID-19 they can apply for Family Caregiver or Compassionate Care EI benefits with Service Canada.
- Family caregiver benefits provide:
- Up to 35 weeks for taking care of a critically ill or injured person under 18
- Up to 15 weeks for a critically injured person 18 or over
- Compassionate care benefits provide:
- Up to 26 weeks for a person of any age who requires end-of-life care
- Employees directly affected by COVID-19 (sick or in quarantine), and requesting EI sickness benefits, can contact the Employment Insurance dedicated campaign line at 1-833-381-2725. The Commission will determine the EI benefit entitlement.
- If an employer chooses to close their business for COVID-19 safety reasons, this will be treated as a layoff. An ROE must be issued using Code “A” Shortage of Work – Layoff.
- In case of temporary layoff due to COVID-19, there is no requirement to pay notice payment. Each jurisdiction has legislation that limits the length of time a layoff can be in place before it is considered a permanent ending of employment by the employer. The labour and employment standards of most jurisdictions distinguish between layoff and termination of employment. For more information please refer to the CPA’s Payroll Best Practice Guidelines on Termination (member login required).
What is a Record of Employment (ROE)?
What is a ROE? A Record of Employment (ROE) is a form that employers complete and file to Service Canada at the end of an employee's service. This is for the employee in the event that they stop working and experience an interruption in earnings. ...
Code to use on the ROE due to COVID-19
Use the following reason codes in Block 16 when issuing an ROE due to COVID-19. When issuing an ROE, ensure you leave Block 18 (the comments section) blank. Any comments within this section will slow down the claim process and will remove the ROE ...
How to create an earning pay code
Three types of earnings There are three types of earning payroll instructions. If you wish to enter a number of hours into the input sheet and have the hours calculate at the hourly or salary rate outlined in the employee's compensation policy, you ...
How to add payroll instructions
Adding a provider level payroll instruction 1. Select "Payroll" from the side menu, and click on "Payroll Setup." 2. Choose the button "Add Payroll Instruction from Provider Library." 3. Select the payroll instruction you need from the list available ...
How to complete a Record of Employment
Preparations Before reviewing the ROE for accuracy, you will need to complete the following steps. 1. Terminate the employee within the system. For more details, check out our article on How to update an employee employment status. 2. Complete their ...