How to manage payroll specifications for an employee
If a payroll instruction exists for your company as a whole, it is set up in one of two ways; applicable to all employees, or applicable to only those it is added to. If set up as applicable to all employees, the payroll instruction will appear as a default under each employee's Payroll Instructions tab. Otherwise, you'll have to add it specifically to their profile. For more information on setting up payroll instructions for the company, check out our article on How to add payroll instructions.
2. Click the Payroll Instructions tab.
3. Click on Add Payroll Instruction.
4. Select the payroll instruction you wish to add.
Customizing a pre-existing payroll instruction
2. Click the Payroll Instructions tab.
3. Find the payroll instruction you want to edit. If the instruction doesn't exist in the profile, click Show disabled payroll instructions to see if it's been disabled or click Add Payroll Instruction to add it for the first time.
4. If you are editing the payroll instruction for the first time for this employee, click Apply Employee Override. If you have already edited the payroll instruction for this employee, click Edit.
5. This first section of the edit screen outlines the payroll instruction in question and the instruction type.
If the Enabled tick box is checked, this instruction will have an entry box on the input sheet for this employee. Click the Override Default Properties box if you want this employee's information to be different than the company default settings. The instruction will default to the same schedule as the company settings - if changes are required, select the appropriate schedule from the drop-down menu.
Default Value: Default value refers to a regular amount to be entered on the input sheet. This amount will appear by default on the input sheet every time the instruction is scheduled to be on the input sheet (see above for schedule).
Auto-Protect: This is used in combination with a default value. If selected, the default value can not be edited on the input sheet.
Input warning limit: If the value goes over this limit (in a single pay run), a warning will appear on your errors/warnings report after processing payroll.
Input error limit: If the value goes over this limit (in a single pay run), an error will appear on your errors/warnings report after processing payroll and you will not be able to approve.
7. Continue scrolling and you will see the Formula section. This allows you to add a calculation to your payroll instruction. Whatever is input (either a default value or manual entry) will be put through the formulated calculation. Please contact our support team if you require assistance with a payroll instruction formula.
8. Below this is the Instruction Behaviour. Here you can specify some maximum values for this payroll instruction.
Shall not exceed the payroll maximum amount: This allows you to set a maximum that is considered for each single pay run. If the value exceeds this number, only this number will be included in the pay run. (e.g. if a maximum of $250 is set and the payroll input sheet reads $300 only $250 will be included in the payment).
Is reduced or set to zero when it exceeds: This allows you to set a maximum that continues through many pay runs. To specify when the maximum is no longer considered, choose one of the two options outlined in the orange box. (e.g. if a maximum of $250 is set, and the payroll input sheet has $50 per pay run, only the first 5 pay runs will be considered, after which this payroll instruction will automatically stop).
and the amount is accumulated year to date: This means the payroll instruction will work until it hits the maximum above, at which point it will stop. It will reset when the year switches over and start again.
and the amount is accumulated since last balance reset: This means the payroll instruction will work until it hits the maximum above, at which point it will stop. It will reset only when a human presses the button below reading Reset Accrual Balance.
How to add payroll instructions
Adding a provider level payroll instruction 1. Select Payroll from the side menu, and click on Payroll Setup. 2. Choose the button Add Payroll Instruction from Provider Library. 3. Select the payroll instruction you need from the list available in ...
How to add an employee to Payroll
To add an employee to Payroll, you will have to follow a different set of steps depending on which Rise features your organization uses. My organization only uses Rise Payroll If your organization only uses Payroll, you can add employees directly ...
How to set up an employee in payroll
Please follow these steps in chronological order before attempting to process payroll. 1. If you created payroll profiles for your employees when you added them to the People Directory, you won’t need to add them again to payroll. However, if you ...
Retirement Allowance and Severance Pay payroll instructions
Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) and Revenu Québec (RQ) regulations state that severance pay and retiring allowances must use the non-periodic lump sum method to calculate tax. A new payroll instruction, Severance Pay, is added to Rise payroll ...
How to add payroll instructions to the input sheet
Adding an instruction to the input sheet If a payroll instruction is not scheduled to appear on this run (or potentially not scheduled to appear on any run by default, as is the case with "occasional" payroll instructions) it will be available to add ...