How to process tax form runs
Prior to processing year end tax forms, you must complete the following steps:
1. Close the previous year. For details on how to close the previous year, check out our article on How to close the year.
Creating your T4 or T4A run
1. Navigate to Payroll, then, under Payroll, click Tax Form Runs.
2. Here, you’ll see one entry per RP number for each year. Navigate to the tax form run, and click Edit.
3. If you want to file your own tax forms and distribute your employees’ T4s, select No. Next, you’ll see the View Tax Summary, View All Tax Slips, and View Non-electronic Slips links to print your tax forms.
4. Click OK to confirm your action.
5. If you want to file your tax forms through Rise, click Yes. Rise will send your tax forms to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) on your behalf.
6. On the right hand side, you’ll see Tax Year, Tax Form, Organization and Run Status.
7. Next, enter the remittance balance amount and click Save. To learn how to get your CRA remittance balance, click View to read our Knowledge Base article on How to get your T4 remittance balance from the CRA.
8. To review the Summary of Remuneration Paid, click View Tax Summary.
9. The Summary of Remuneration Paid will open in a new tab. Here, you’ll see a difference at the bottom of the page. If there is balance due in Box 86, you must directly pay the amount owing balance due in Box 86 to CRA.
If there is an overpayment in Box 84 the CRA will send you a Notice of Assessment (NOA) once your T4s are filed. The NOA will contain information on how to receive your refund from the CRA.
10. Next, return to the previous screen and click View All Tax Slips. The tax slips will open in a new window.
11. If you want to make any change in the T4 slips, click Download CSV Tax Form Data. For more information on how to edit tax forms, refer our How to edit Tax Forms article.
12. To check for possible errors or warnings in your T4 run, click Check Tax Form Data.
13. The Tax Form Delivery Format is set as Email. Your employees will receive their tax forms in their tax form delivery email. You’ll also see a warning message for employees without a document delivery email. Click Show to run the Employee Document Delivery report. The report will generate a list of employees without the document delivery email option setup.
14. Click View to review the errors. Errors must be resolved before you can approve the Year-End tax forms. Although warnings don’t require action, Rise strongly suggests to review and resolve them, as they may result in CRA/RQ processing delays. The Approve button is enabled after the errors are resolved.
15. Once you approve the tax form, you’ll be redirected to the Review page. Review your tax form information and select the checkbox to confirm its accuracy. Once you have confirmed the information, click Finalize Tax Form Run.
16. Lastly, you’ll see a message congratulating you on successful completion of your tax form. You’ll also see the details of the next steps which will be taken care of by Rise.
How to amend tax forms
1. Navigate to Payroll, then, under Payroll, click Tax Form Runs. 2. Click Amend beside the year you want to amend. Make sure the original tax form run is filed with the CRA, or you won’t be able to amend. If you amend RL-1 Tax Form, a new line with ...
How to close the year
Before you close the year, you must be absolutely sure that you are finished paying employees for the year. Once the year is closed, it cannot be opened. The year must be closed in order to process payroll for the new year. Please do not close the ...
How to send one-off finalized tax forms to your employees
Once you complete your year end in Rise Payroll, you can send employees' tax forms to their work email. Only previous year’s tax forms and current year’s finalized tax forms can be sent. 1. Navigate to Payroll and click the Employees tab. 2. Here ...
How to download important Payroll reports
How to download Payroll Register Reports 1. Navigate to Payroll, then click on the Reports tab. 2. Under the Standard Reports tab, you’ll find the payroll register report under the Payroll Reports section, click on Payroll Register. 3. Select the ...
How to edit tax forms
If you have previous YTD data, or have terminated employees prior to using Rise and would like to generate their T4 slips, editing your T4s/T4As requires you to export your tax form data into Excel and then make adjustments to the spreadsheet before ...