How to process Tax Form runs
Prior to processing year end tax forms, you must complete the following steps:
1. Close the previous year. For details on how to close the previous year, check out our article on How to close the year.
Creating your T4 or T4A Run
1. Select Payroll on the top menu, navigate to Year End and click Tax Form Runs.
2. Here, you’ll see one entry per RP number for each year. Navigate to the tax form run, and click Edit.
3. If you want to file your own tax forms and distribute your employees’ T4s, select No. Next, you’ll see the View Tax Summary, View All Tax Slips, and View Non-electronic Slips links to print your tax forms.
4. Click OK to confirm your action.
5. If you want to file your tax forms through Rise, click Yes. Rise will send your tax forms to Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) on your behalf.
6. On the right hand side, you’ll see Tax Year, Tax Form, Organization and Run Status.
7. Next, enter the remittance balance amount and click Save. To learn how to get your CRA remittance balance, click View to read our knowledge base article.
8. To review the Summary Of Remuneration Paid, click View Tax Summary.
9. Temporary Wage Subsidy - If yes, reconcile Box 86 Balance Due to Covid-19 10% Temporary Wage and CRA PD27 form.
The Summary Of Remuneration Paid will open in a new tab. Here, you’ll see a difference at the bottom of the page. If there is balance due in Box 86, and you participated in the 10% Temporary Wage Subsidy please add your PD-27 amount for 10% Subsidy received to Box 82. If you didn’t receive the Covid-19 10% Temporary Wage Subsidy, you must directly pay the amount owing balance due in Box 86 to CRA.
If there is an overpayment in Box 84 the CRA will send you a Notice of Assessment (NOA) once your T4s are filed. The NOA will contain information on how to receive your refund from CRA.
10. Next, navigate to the previous screen, and click View All Tax Slips. The tax slips will open in a new window.
11. If you want to make any change in the T4 slips, click Download CSV Tax Form Data. For more information on how to edit tax forms, refer our How to edit Tax Forms article.
12. To check for possible errors or warnings in your T4 run, click Check Tax Form Data.
13. The Tax Form Delivery Format is set as Email. Your employees will receive their tax forms in their tax form delivery email.
You’ll also see a warning message for employees without a document delivery email. Click Show to run the Employee Document Delivery report. The report will generate a list of employees without the document delivery email option setup.
14. Click View to review the errors. Errors must be resolved before you can approve the Year-End tax forms. Although warnings don’t require action, Rise strongly suggests to review and resolve them, as they may result in CRA/RQ processing delays.
The Approve button is enabled after the errors are resolved.
15. If you want to modify the information, navigate to Return to Year End Tax Form Run and click Unapprove.
16. Once you approve the tax form, you’ll be redirected to the Review page. Review your tax form information and select the checkbox to confirm its accuracy.
Once you have confirmed the information, click Finalize Tax Form Run.
17. Lastly, you’ll see a message congratulating you on successful completion of your tax form. You’ll also see the details of the next steps which will be taken care of by Rise.
How to set up Federal Personal Tax Credits
We have enhanced the way our system is able to handle how you process Federal Personal Tax Credits. Previously, tax credited was based on a static amount of $13,229.00. We have recently made changes to our system to provide Federal Personal Tax ...
How are taxes calculated in Rise?
This article provides information on how income taxes are calculated in Rise Payroll and why the tax calculations may be different than other tax calculators from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). This article will address these questions: How are ...
How to send one-off finalized tax forms to your employees
Once you complete your year end in Rise Payroll, you can send employees' tax forms to their work email. Only previous year’s tax forms and current year’s finalized tax forms can be sent. 1. Navigate to Payroll and click the Employees tab. 2. Here ...
How to combine T4s from multiple organizations into one
Do you have multiple organizations set up within the software for ONE Rise account? If yes, then you want to combine all your T4s into one organization. Here's a quick step by step guide. Let's say you have orgs Bi-weekly Org and Semi-Monthly org, ...
How to amend Tax Forms
1. In the Payroll menu on the left-hand side, click Payroll. Next, in the Year End section, click Tax Form Runs. 2. Click Amend beside the year you want to amend. Make sure the original tax form run is filed with the CRA, or you won’t be able to ...