How to set up an employee in payroll
Please follow these steps in chronological order before attempting to process payroll.
1. If you created payroll profiles for your employees when you added them to the People Directory, you won’t need to add them again to payroll. However, if you didn’t add your employees’ payroll information during the creation process, follow the steps in the My organization uses Rise Payroll and HR section of our How to add an employee to Payroll article.
If you have terminated employees that will require T4s at the end of the year, please enter their personal information as well.
2. After you’ve created the employee’s profile, go to the Compensation tab on the Payroll section of their profile and set up a compensation policy. Check out our article on How do I set up or adjust an employee's compensation for more details.
You must first create a compensation policy under the employee’s compensation tab before you can process their payroll.
3. Next, you need to set up your employee’s financial information, which can be accessed through the Financial tab of the employee’s payroll profile. For an overview of how to add direct deposit information to an employee’s profile, check out our article on How to set up an employee's financial information.
4. On the Tax tab, you can adjust your employee’s TD1 Federal and Regional Tax Configurations. Without any adjustments made, the system will assume all of your employees are claiming the Basic Personal Amount for their region for this year at a federal and provincial level. This is typically the correct setup, but if an employee returns a TD1 form or a F1 form with other specifications, you will need to adjust their settings. Our article on How to configure tax settings for an employee provides additional detail.
5. Next, set up vacation pay for the employee. Click the Payroll Instructions tab on the employee’s profile and add the relevant payroll instructions based on your organization’s vacation pay policy (shown in the chart below).
6. Finally, add the employee’s email address on the Document Delivery tab to have pay stubs and/or T4s emailed directly to the employee. Our article on How to set up document delivery (electronic statement of earnings and tax forms) provides a full overview of how to set up document delivery for your organization as well as for individual employees.
The default password for electronic pay-stubs is the last 4 digits of the employee's SIN number.
How to process payroll
For details on your payroll cutoff (input due date), please see your funding agreement. Always review the Invoice Report and make sure that you have enough funds in your bank on the withdrawal date as shown on your invoice report before you click ...
How to set up payroll
Before you start processing your first payroll with Rise, please ensure you do the following: 1. If you have previously used a different provider, please inform Service Canada of your intent to change payroll providers by issuing a single Record of ...
How to add an employee to Payroll
To add an employee to Payroll, you will have to follow a different set of steps depending on which Rise features your organization uses. My organization only uses Rise Payroll If your organization only uses Payroll, you can add employees directly ...
How to set up new positions for your company
Note that this article is only relevant to Payroll-only users. If you use both HR and Payroll through Rise, follow the instructions in our article on How do I change an employee's position to set up new positions for employees within your ...
How to manage payroll specifications for an employee
If a payroll instruction exists for your company as a whole, it is set up in one of two ways; applicable to all employees, or applicable to only those it is added to. If set up as applicable to all employees, the payroll instruction will appear as a ...